The complete BYD B-Box Installation Manual, Quick Reference Guide, and Datasheet can all be found as attached files by scrolling to the bottom of this article. Following the BYD installation manual is recommended for first-time installers.
The BYD-Box HV batteries are modular, meaning that they are separated into sections.
- Bottom/Base with legs (black)
- Battery modules (white)
- Top/BCU (black with BYD logo)
- This is called the Battery Control Unit (BCU)
Note: This is a ground-mounted battery that cannot be mounted on the wall; however, it can be mounted to the wall
Start by setting the battery base on the ground in a flat, stable area near where the inverter will be
Adjust the legs until the base is perfectly level - using a level is recommended here
Then consecutively stack the battery modules on top of one another - they should nestle comfortably. Utilize the lock screws on either side of the battery at each module and the BCU.
- Finally, set the BCU on the top module but leave the lid off for now
- Make sure the switch is in the OFF position before installing the BCU
- Next you will need to run conduit between the BYD battery and the energy storage inverter
- Once the conduit is ran and the wire has been pulled, the wires can then be landed
- Land the ground wire in the screw terminal labeled with the ground symbol in the BCU
- Land the positive wire in the terminal labeled P+ in the BCU
- Land the negative wire in the terminal labeled P- in the BCU
- In the inverter land the positive wire in terminal labeled Bat +
- In the inverter land the negative wire in terminal labeled Bat -
- The Solis Energy Storage inverter communicates with the BYD B-Box battery using CAN L and CAN H.
- The Solis Energy Storage inverter communicates with the BYD B-Box HV battery using CAN L and CAN H
- The recommended wire size for communication between the battery and inverter is 22-16 AWG
- Land one wire in port 6 in the green battery comm terminal and in the port labeled "CANH" in the inverter
- Land the other wire in port 8 in the green battery comm terminal & in the port labeled "CANL" in the inverter
BYD Commissioning Steps:
- Ensure that the battery fuses in the inverter are not pushed in. Then flip the switch on the BYD battery up into the ON position
- You will now need to connect to the BYD battery to commission it. There are two methods for accomplishing this:
- WiFi: Turn the main switch of the Battery-Box on to power on the battery system. 2. Connect the computer to the Battery-Box systems WIFI. Search in the computer for new WIFI networks. The name of the WIFI will be BYD and the last 11 numbers of the serial number. (Example: Products serial number: "BYD100171708-00000" will have the WIFI name: "BYD171708-00000") WIFIs password is "123456789". 3. Open a recommended browser and call the IP address of the Battery-Box where you are usually put in the URL of a web page. The Battery-Box IP address is "192.168.5.1" 4. You will be asked for account number and the login password. Please fill in "installer" and as a password "byd@12345"
- Direct connection with an ethernet cable: The LAN cable has to be connected directly to your computer. 2. Turn on the main switch of the Battery-Box system. 3. Open a recommended browser and call the IP address of the Battery-Box where you are usually put in the URL of a web page. The Battery-Box IP address is "192.168.6.1" 4. You will be asked for account number and the login password. Please fill in "installer" and as a password "byd@12345"
- Click the tab called "Installation" on the left side of the screen then set the system's user information: installation date/time, quantity of battery modules in the stack, inverter type (please use "BYD-CAN" for Solis inverters), and geographic location. Then click "Finish", the parameters will be automatically set but please wait one minute for the configuration to finish.
- The battery will restart on it's own, this is completely normal. Also, the battery performs a self-calibration cycle about once every 30 days.
Solis Hybrid Commissioning Steps:
- Turn on the AC breaker for the inverter and also the DC switch on the left side of the inverter wire box. Then wait for the screen to come on.
- Press the ENTER button and then go to "Advanced Settings" in the inverter menus
- Enter the password 0010 (DOWN, DOWN, UP, ENTER)
- Press ENTER when on "Select Standard" and choose the most appropriate grid standard
- Most systems in the US will use UL-240 or UL-240A (for arc-fault protection)
- The Rule 21 grid standard is R21-P3-240 and with arc-fault is R21-P3-240A
- Go to "Battery Control" and then "Battery Select" then using the UP/Down buttons scroll until B-Box HV is selected
- Press Enter three times and then hit ESC - When "Save & Send" is highlighted press ENTER
- Go to "Battery Wakeup" and then press ENTER